gifts for the person who has everything

Sunday, 7 November 2010


I must admit, I've long reached a time in my life where I'm giving away rather than amassing. I have this rule that whenever I enter a room, I must take something, no matter how small, and either throw it away or give it away to someone who has less.

It could be as insignificant as a used tissue or a gorgeous handbag I've never used. But something must go. Every single time. It's liberating. It declutters. It makes you realise just how much you've got. And it makes you feel oh so good.

In the spirit of this penchant for giving rather than receiving, I have to tell you I'm a huge fan of Oxfam. Their gifts are perfect for those who already have too much, and also to those who only have a little... and the recipient is always absolutely delighted and thoroughly touched.

Oxfam have just put out their new Oxfam Unwrapped catalogue - you have got to check it out - it's so ΓΌber hip and cool... and any lucky person would love to receive something so special - a card telling them they've just taught an adult in Cambodia to read or have just changed a farmer's life forever or fed a village in India or supported Australian indigenous women.


I defy you to read through this catalogue without tears in your eyes. It's truly beautiful, and gifts range from $10.

There really is no excuse. Let's start a trend by giving the gift that continues on giving.

We don't need anything more, really - do we..?

2 comments:

Robin said...

Hi Tania,
I too love the Oxfam gift cards. We have been giving them for a few years now. I have not however heard of your brilliant decluttering and giving system. I am definitely adopting that Idea! I am counting down till Handmade's release! Robin

Michelle said...

I love these kinds of gifts ... my favourite... but family wasn't so happy when we bought hens and goats last year instead of big shiny tangible gifts :(
We live in such a wealthy country, do we really need big shiny tangible gifts when others in the world have nothing?
Thank you for posting this and encouraging people to purchase lovely, valuable, worthwhile gifts this Christmas.
xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...