our big trip - days 1 + 2: Melbourne

Wednesday, 6 February 2013


On Friday 28 January, we started a journey. That journey covered almost 40,000km - and what a journey it was. It feels like another world away, now that my feet are skimming the ground here in Canberra - and I must admit, half the fun of travel is bringing the memories home - and sharing and reliving them.

So - here is my first in a series of our big trip posts. I hope you enjoy - and I hope you take some inspiration for your own travels. There's nothing like the thrill of edging out of your comfort zone and into new places.


We started our trip with a road trip to Melbourne to catch up with the rellies - a sort of post-Christmas celebration. The trip takes us 8 hours because we usually stop twice - and meanders through many miles of Aussie grazing land.


Coming into Melbourne at 5pm on a Friday afternoon was not the most sensible decision made on this trip!


But we so love driving in on the Tullmarine Freeway, underneath The Big Chip.


Being unable to last more than a few hours without tossing or kicking some pig skin, Riley quickly roped Granny into some footy moves in the front yard. Then we feasted the night away with the whole fam.


On Saturday 29th, we filled the day with busyness. I tell you what - flying out at midnight for Bangkok is not the most pleasant experience in the world. Naturally, we didn't sleep well Friday night, so we got out and about, trying to exhaust ourselves so we'd sleep on the flight. Famous last words.

Riley got his hair cut.


Both kids even succumbed to drawing and colouring-in, which they haven't done for ages thanks to general life busyness.



I wandered aimlessly, had cups of tea with Granny and took photos of my feet. I also packed and repacked and repacked and got very, very anxious.


Here we are, queueing to check in at Tullamarine Airport at about 10 o'clock at night. There's not a sign of anxiety on my face in the photo below but I have to admit I was a tightly-wound ball of agonising angst.

Why?

I have absolutely no idea.


Maybe it was that release-valve feeling you get after an incredibly hectic, stressful 6 months of a completely bananas workload. Maybe it was The Unknown, the distance and length of the trip. Maybe it was those darn Mayans.

Whatever the case, it was a completely foreign feeling for me. I've never been a nervous flyer {I used to be a flight attendant, for goodness sake}, I've travelled extensively and at great distance, and I certainly don't succumb to prophecies. Maybe I'm just getting old and have greater desire for comfort.

OR - maybe I had forgotten just how horrendous a direct trip to Europe can be. I would very soon be reminded . . .


distance travelled: 683km

our big trip - day 3: Flying to Europe
our big trip - day 4: London
our big trip - day 5: London
our big trip - day 6: London
our big trip - day 7: London
our big trip - day 8: London
our big trip - day 9: Leyland
our big trip - day 10: London
our big trip - day 11: Paris
our big trip - day 12: Paris
our big trip - day 13: Paris
our big trip - day 14: Bruges
our big trip - day 15: Bruges 
our big trip - day 16: Bruges and The Hague
our big trip - day 17: The Hague
our big trip - day 18: Amsterdam
our big trip - day 19: Amsterdam
our big trip - day 20: The Hague
our big trip - days 21 + 22: Brussels
Two days lost with travel and travelling east
our big trip - days 25 + 26: Bangkok
our big trip - day 27: Kanchanaburi
our big trip - days 28 - 32: Cha Am Resort
our big trip - day 33: Hua Hin
our big trip - days 34 + 35: Coming Home
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...