Women Who Do What They Love - Rebecca Vavic

Monday 6 April 2009

Who is this woman? Rebecca Vavic

What is her passion called? ReVa – scrapbooking and art kits, Creations to Cherish… Mixed Media and Collage art.

Where can you take a squiz at her stuff? www.rebeccavavic.typepad.com

What does she actually produce? Mixed Media art, collage art and monthly scrapbooking and art kits.

Why does she do all this? I do my art because it is part of me… it is who I am.


Where is this talented woman from and what’s her story?
I am an Aussie, living in our bush capital of Canberra - - not a big city and perfect for family. I have two gorgeous kidlets; Mikaela and Joshua, and we have another due in June 2009. My husband, Nathan is a dream (oh so corny, but true!). Aside from a year living in Italy in my mid 20s, I’ve lived in Canberra all my life, as I adore this green city.

I guess I have always been an artist of some sort. In my teens I was selected for the “gifted and talented” program at school and completed a life size bust (head and shoulders sculpture). In college I got into screen printing textiles, fashion design and photography. Over the years I have continued my passion for anything and everything creative: decoupage, scrapbooking, dress making and my latest passion of mixed media. I love that this medium brings all my teachings and interests together.

Staying at home again with Joshua has allowed me to totally immerse myself in my creative pursuits. I believe in creating the life we dream of and I am so grateful for all of my blessings.

Usually you will find me flitting from one project to another. Often I will create some sketches and write myself notes while waiting in the car for my daughter after school. I always have at least 5 or 6 projects going at once. Each fuels the other. The more I have going, the more I do.



I teach adult education classes at our local tafe colleges... scrapping and mixed media. I am in heaven surrounded by enthusiasm and inspiration. I love to share all I can and I learn from my students, too. Teaching is such a joy!How long has her stuff been happening? Since mid 2008.

What pesky obstacles have tried to block her progress? Time and balance… family and work balance. It’s really tough being a stay at home Mumma and trying to work at the same time. I’ve tried to put my son into care one day a week but he was miserable, which of course made me rather miserable, too.

In the end you just need to do what makes you and your family happy… it is possible. I find in this day and age we expect ourselves to be super human… sometimes we expect too much. It’s nice to have my children remind me that it really is the little things in life that are most important.

What are her greatest joys in doing what she loves? When someone likes a piece of my art, or they bought it for a gift for a loved one and they tell me how much they loved it. That means a lot to me… to bring a small piece of joy to someone else’s “space”. The other joy for me is to see how excited my 8 year old is to be part of a market, or for her to see someone else enjoy my art.

What is she loving most about her work? I really love my mixed media pieces, but lately I have been drawn to simple collages which would be suitable in a nursery… totally inspired by being 30 week pregnant right now!

What is her inspiration? So many things… my children, magazines, colour combinations, papers, other amazingly talented artists. Quotes, lyrics and poems play a major role in my art, those that strike a cord with me, I use. For me there is such a synchronicity in the combination of art and words.

If she could do anything in the whole wide, entire world – what would she do? Hmmmm… I would love to be a Family Portraiture Photographer… as well as what I’m doing now.

Where would she escape to if she could? The answer to that question is always Italy… I just adore it so much.

What are her secret aspirations? I would like my scrapbooking/art kits to take off and get a great following. I would also like to start up regular “Artists Dates”, maybe monthly… just to provide the time and space for a group of passionate, like-minded women to get together and create regularly. I’d also like to hold “Artist Festivals” with lots of inspiring artists teaching their amazing crafts and talents.


What is her greatest achievement? It would have to be my family. I know it sounds cliché, but that really is my greatest achievement… to have a wonderful husband and to have created a family with him is so rewarding. It is a wonderful life we have.

What would be her absolutely perfect day? Right now I am about to get packing for a holiday to Fiji, so sitting by the beach and relaxing, swimming with the kids, reading some great books, doing some brainstorming, making some sketches and creating on the laptop all sounds perfect to me.



What five words sum her up? Passionate. Inspired. Motivated. Dedicated. Compassionate.

What really fabulous advice does she have for others wanting to Do What They Love? Go for it… I believe we can all be successful if we listen to our soul whispers and do what we are called to do.

Are you doing what you love? Please contact me here if you would like to tell your Do What You Love story. I’d love to hear from you – no matter where you are in the world.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...