Happy Mother's Day

Sunday 10 May 2009

This morning I woke, as I do each Mother's Day, and remembered I am a mother. This is some mean feat, considering the fact that I still feel fifteen years old most of the time. I then smiled quietly in memory of my own mother, and whispered happy mother's day to her on the morning air. After that, I thought of my mother-in-law, my sister and sisters-in-law, and friends who are mothers.

Riley snuck in to our room soon after and crept onto the lush blue rug under our bed and snuggled there like a pussycat before creeping into bed with us to warm up. He disbanded soon after without a mention of Mother's Day.

Ella tip-toed in about twenty minutes later and crept around to Husband's side of the bed to whisper things. I pretended I was still asleep. I even snored. Everyone crept out like members of a secret society, and closed the door.

I rolled over, snuggled my face into the pillow and smiled.

Lovely mother's day morning.

A tray arrived with the ubiquitous tea - too lukewarm and too milky but just so so divine. There was an iceberg rose from the garden in a teensy glass, my favourite cereal and vegemite on soy and linseed toast.

There were cards and notes and paper crafts galore, including the portrait (above) by Ella.

My goodness. I have a daughter. And a son. How did I become old enough to be a mother? I wonder if my mother felt this way when I was young. Before I lost her almost twenty years ago; far too soon.

Every Mother's Day, I light a candle for my mum, and I remember the poem she once handed me on a small card... a poem I read at our wedding in her honour, and a card I look to every year - on the day when we honour all mums.

Have a beautiful day, mums everywhere.

Take Time

Take time to think...
it is the source of power.


Take time to play...
it is the secret of perpetual youth.

Take time to love and be loved...
it is a God-given privilege.


Take time to be friendly...
it is the road to happiness.

Take time to laugh...
it is the music of the soul.

Take time to give...
it is too short a day to be selfish.

Take time to work...
it is the price of success.

Take time to dream...
it is what the future is made of.

Take time to pray...
it is the greatest power on earth.

- author unknown

3 comments:

Amanda said...

That's beautiful, Tania...enjoy your day!

Dani and Nick said...

Loving the shrek ears on the portrait....happy mothers day!!!!

Tania McCartney said...

I know! I thought those ears looked familiar... I'm a Stevie Nicks Shrek! (I'm so not Stevie Nicks - Shrek maybe, but I'm taking the illustrator up on the Stevie Nicks thing...)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...