Injury Prone Tai Tai

Saturday, 9 May 2009

I’m like a walking mummy, there’s so many bandages

Okay, so I just have to tell you something that’s been happening to me. It only dawned on me how bad it’s been this very morning - when I realised I could finally wash my hair without having to wear gloves to keep the Bandaids dry.

Since we’ve repatriated to tidy, clean safe-haven Australia, my limbs and skin have become subjected to a pretty continual supply of injury. Not just the odd paper cut or scrape... I’m talking nearly breaking an ankle on the floorboards, huge gouges in my back that – in truth – really should have received stitches, and nearly slicing-the-tip-of-my-thumb-off kind of stuff.

It’s not that I’ve returned home and am suddenly clumsy. It’s that I’ve returned home and have temporarily forgotten my centre of gravity when I mop the floor. I’ve also forgotten to be mindful of protruding, rusting metal brackets when I stand up suddenly near the garden shed after weeding. And I’ve very much forgotten the skill is takes to slice a cucumber with a very sharp knife.

No, I didn’t do much mopping, gardening or slicing in Beijing. Can you tell?

I decided this morning, when I was finally free of stinging, bleeding, dull aches, bandages, bandaids and outright agony for quite literally the first time in months – that this really has to stop. I need to be more mindful of this housewifery thing. I need to slow down and just accept a large chunk of my day will be taken up with the mundanity of mopping, sweeping and fluffing pillows. Surprisingly dangerous stuff. Have you ever had a pillow's feather-stem in the eyeball? Not pleasant.

And every night, I will – yes I will – have to cook dinner and risk all manner of scalding and burning (yes, that happens frequently, too).

Ach.

Ayi! Oh, ayi! Where are you now? Why can I not fax you forthwith to Australia? And it’s not for the reasons you think… if I don’t develop my sense of gravity-centered housewife awareness soon, I might need to employ an ayi just to change the bandages. God help me.

First published on the City Weekend Beijing website.

1 comment:

Mr Lee said...

Enjoy your blog.So kind.Good luck!
We hope that we will have the opportunity to make friends with you.
We invite you to come to our blog. You are welcome any time.

http://www.china-cutter.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...