My First Etsy Purchase

Monday 22 March 2010

How utterly shameless that I just today made my very first etsy purchase. I know. It's ridiculous. I just never 'got round to it' but Im' so glad I did. SO easy to do, especially if you have a paypal account, and etsy sellers are just SOOO gorgeous.

I bought this stunning limited print book by artist Bridget Farmer, who makes quite beautiful booklets and etchings all the way over there on the other side of the world. She actually likes the idea of moving to Australia, and you can see that desire 'etched' (scuse the pun) into her gorgeous artwork, including Australian native birds.

This little book depicts a snippet of the bird life seen on Belfast Lough. Each book Bridget makes is an original monoprint and she repeats this process to make a limited edition of 15. After printing, Bridget uses a dip ink pen and red ink to colour the birds' beaks and legs.

The paper she uses is highest quality Zerkal cotton rag paper and is concertina style.The cover is made of 280gsm Somerset grey cotton rag paper and the title words are linocut. Each book has it's own little hand made protective envelope also made from the lovely Somerset grey cotton rag paper.

Can you imagine how precious it's going to be to hold this in my hands? Bridget is adding a personalised note with this book, as I'm giving it to my much-loved mother-in-law, who is also a Belfast girl.

So wonderful to meet you, Bridget. Hope we can chat again soon.

See Bridget's amazing prints at her etsy store here and her handmade books here. You can drool over her blog here (but be careful not to drool on the paper) and see her official website here.

4 comments:

Megan Blandford said...

The book looks gorgeous, but I can't believe it's your first Etsy purchase!!! You'll be hooked now...

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Great little book, how special for you, Irish by marriage!! I only bought my first thing on etsy, fabric of course, last year, so you're not too far behind, or we both are??!! I find it so hard to get through all the products unless you're quite specific. Happy PayPaling though, that is so awesome. Love Posie

Tania McCartney said...

Isn't it funny we both haven't bought frequently, when I KNOW we'd go gaga over the choice. I don't know what it is, either. Maybe it's because the prices are always quite decent - which of course, is important because these artisans need to be paid for their beautiful work!

Anonymous said...

gorgeous - love it - I made my first purchase 2 months ago - it took a month to come to my house and guess what - the package was empty! I was so ticked and disappointed! I did get a refund - but turned off from buying again. TB

ps - love the new layout - cleaner and like your wider reading space!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...