cowra school visits

Thursday 17 March 2011


As part of my Cowra visit on the weekend, it was so much fun to be able to fit in some school visits and book readings. First was a visit to childcare centre - Carinya - to meet the kids and read Riley and the Curious Koala. It was so adorable to see the kids search for Koala amongst the pages and I just loved their comments. Huge thanks to Susan Callaghan for such an amazing author display! and book signing, and for being so sweet.


Then it was on to Cowra Public School, who have been around an astonishing 153 years - more than many city schools. I read to grade 4 and 5 kids and then did a powerpoint presentation on how I put the Riley books together. They were so attentive and asked some great questions. Then they presented me with a very special mug which is just so super cool, I think I have now become a mug addict. Here it is sitting on my desk with Panda (from the Riley books) snuggled inside . . . Huge thanks to the lovely Sheridan Oborn for making me feel so welcome.


Next was Mulyan Public School - the largest school in Cowra, where I met with the years 3 and 5 kids (who will all be completing NAPLAN this year) in their school hall. They were such a well-behaved bunch of kids - enjoying a reading then my presentation on book creation. I just love it when kids think outside the square, and these kids came up with some great responses and questions. Half of them then pounced on me for autographs and my very first - ever - signing of hats and even a football! Thanks so much to principal John Smith for having me!


I loved my Cowra visits and would love to go back again - it was an inspiring time and most of all, I had a lot of fun.

2 comments:

Megan Blandford said...

Gorgeous. Looks like lots of fun!

n said...

Lovely photos. Looks like you had a great time.

Thank you so much for your kind comment on my blog.
I am glad to know your Japanese friends are safe too..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...