peas and mushrooms

Saturday 19 November 2011


I so believe in honouring your body's desire for certain foods. No - not your head's (margaritas) or your heart's (chocolate) desire. If that were the case, I'd be permanently gnawing on a fluffy baguette with a chewy exterior, slathered in Tasmanian butter and caramelised fig jam. And I'd pretty much end up LOOKING like a fluffy baguette with a chewy exterior, slathered in Tasmanian butter and caramelised fig jam, too.

No - I'm talking about what your body is REALLY craving. If we bother to stop and listen for the cues sans the emotional and mental clattering. Like my desperation last night for a mass of cooked mushrooms and pea and mozarella (I use baby bocconcini) soup (see Nigella's amazing recipe - she calls it Slime Soup - here).


Most of us are deficient in magnesium and B vitamins... those which help us deal with modern day stressors. I must admit, I'm pretty constantly craving mushrooms right now, and their healing tonic on my nervous system is almost instant.

If you can't tolerate mushrooms (oh my - why not? that earthy, rich, gamey flavour and chewyness - yum), you can get your Vit B fill from tuna, oats, turkey, bananas, potatoes, avocado, legumes, liver and beef. And don't forget your magnesium fill via seeds, nuts, oysters, beans, legumes, cooked spinach, soy milk and wholegrains.


It's so interesting that when we think of supplementing our diets with vitamins, we look to taking a pill, when a cup of mushrooms (cooked, not raw) will work faster, smarter and harder than any pill could.

Gagging for a mango or some raspberries or spinach? Rush out and gather then, post-haste - and toss them into your system. You'd better believe this is your body's way of telling you which vitamins and minerals it needs for optimum health.

No - Cadbury Creme Eggs do not qualify (sadly).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...