presents and presence

Wednesday 27 June 2012


I've been so very very busy, I've not been passing the merest thought to our big overseas trip at the end of the year, which is very strange for me because I so love to go on big overseas trips. Almost as much as reading and writing.

Today, after a particularly hard work slog, a parcel was delivered from my dear friend Jennifer. Jennifer lives very far away from me (and is part of my big overseas trip!) but she always feels very close, because she is so precious to me.

When I read her gorgeous balloon card, I straightaway knew what the parcel contained. And here it is - the most divine leather travel wallet, soft as powder and as ripe as a tomato on the vine. I love it so much, I couldn't stop pressing my face against it.


But there's something more to this present than just being a travel wallet. There's a kind presence in this present - because of who it's from, and because of the reason it was sent to me. It's such a beautiful thing that living in physical form doesn't mean we can't be infused - and indeed, objects can't be infused - with love and a haunting presence that makes it feel like someone is standing right next to you.


For some reason, I've been a little anxious about this overseas trip, and maybe that's why I haven't been passing much thought to it of late, but Jennifer's beautiful gift (coupled with some precious words recently uttered to me by a fellow author and quite remarkable woman) has really lifted my spirits, and I am once again excited about going away.

Thank you, Jenn - you are truly a beautiful presence in my life. I can't wait to stash that passport in my wallet and come see you. xxx

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...