christmas traditions

Wednesday 19 December 2012


I love tradition at the best of times - and of course, Christmas drags a hankering for special things out of the cupboard, and dashes it with sprinkles.

In our house, we have a particular penchant for Advent Calendars at Christmas time. Each year I create a new type of calendar, and it's a lot of fun coming up with new ideas to delight the kids.

Another tradition we have in our house is cookies on Christmas morning. I don't know where this started - I think maybe when Ella was little. I used to make her personalised cookies and, not wanting her to eat sugar before bed, I would leave some of the cookies out for Santa on Christmas Eve. Up early for her stocking, perhaps Ella picked up a left over cookie on Christmas morning and nibbled it under the Christmas tree.

I'm not sure how it all began - but it's a lovely tradition we've kept, and each year I make four special cookies, one for each of us, and we nibble them with coffee (the kids have juice) under the three as we open presents.


The idea for this particular cookie came from - where else - Martha Stewart. Dani Fiori of MS Living created a similar style cookie, but in the style of a snow globe. I made do with what I had, and this is the result.

I simply adore these amazing dragees and sugar sprinkles - found at Spotlight and Woollies at Majura Park (Canberra). I also found these adorable little sugar gingerbread men at La Torta, also at Majura Park.


The initial cookies are also a favourite thing to do - the kids will adore devouring these Christmas Eve, along with purchased stollen and home-made pfeffernusse cookies. More on them soon!

What Christmas traditions do you hold dear?


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...