Chief Minister's Reading Challenge - school visit

Sunday 15 May 2016


One of the great joys of being a children's author, is chatting with kids about story--and hopefully, just hopefully, having them fall in love with books.

In my role as an ambassador for the Chief Minister's Reading Challenge for 2016, I get to have that chance even more than I regularly do. I also get to visit brand new schools, like Charles Weston school in the far west of Canberra--a brand new, state-of-the-art school, with fabulous kids eager to learn and grow.

I talked to them about books--about writing books, illustrating books, reading books, loving books. I talked about how much fun books can be, and how important story is. The kids were so receptive and so curious. They giggled and commented and asked questions and threw themselves straight into the pages of the books I'd brought along, the very moment they could. Now--that's what we want.


One of my favourite moments was showing them a 3D story called Jim Curious. These three little poppets (below) donned their 3D glasses, only to be met with a rather ferocious shark! They loved it--and they were so brave! (Note the little one biting her nail!)


This is what we want for kids--reactions to books. We want to take them to other places. To send them on adventures. To make them feel and think. When we do this, we not only educate, enchant and entertain, we do the very best thing we can to encourage literacy.


My other favourite part was chatting to the kids one-on-one after the presentation. Below, I'm chatting with a girl with Scottish heritage, taking her through A Scottish Year. Note the little loves, bottom right, with that fabulous 3D book!


Thank you to Lauren and Dave from the Chief Minister's office for organising this fabulous visit, and to Mr Spencer and the kids from Charles Weston for having me. Books rock!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...