week three of my May Gibbs Children's Literature Trust Fellowship - Hello! Inspiration!

Sunday 9 December 2018


Week three! Getting there! If you're wondering about the Kate Greenaway book in the image above (who wouldn't!?), it was part of a silent auction of beautiful books during the MGCLT High Tea (read about it here). The lovely Mary Wilson, Patron, agreed to allow me to buy it after I'd got distracted and didn't put a bid in! How unusual of me to get distracted. Anyway--I adore this book.

Also in the image is a massive chocolate frog from Haigh's (from the Trust), and a lovely gin and tonic inspired by my hotelier daughter and her adoration for beautifully balanced cocktails. It has orange and rosemary in it. The orange is freshly squeezed from the orange tree outside the little cottage I stayed in. There's also gum blossom branches from the High Tea--they lasted until the end of my stay; I adored them. You'll also notice a pine cone--one of many I collected from the lawns of a nearby park, and the Fellows' Journal, which I wrote in, drew in and read from cover to cover, marvelling at the experiences of my previous Fellows--all, incidentally, with major similarities to my own journey. So very interesting.

In the journal, I called week three 'Hello! Inspiration!'

This image also typifies week three in that this is the week my inspo came back. I pottered with watercolour (you'll see some commissioned character studies) and some digital art for my alphabet book idea.

It was a really productive week and I have to make note that I used my umbrella THREE TIMES that week and got caught in the rain three times, too. I know Adelaide normally gets as much rain as Canberra does (i.e. none) and I relished being rained on. I'm a Hobart girl. I love the rain.

On the Friday of that week, I spoke at SCBWI ACT's Christmas party celebration at the Astor Hotel. Oh my goodness, it was a fun night. You know those nights where your tummy muscles hurt the next day? That. I talked about my creative journey then about my Mamie journey and then we ate (and drank!) and played Christmas bingo and guessing games and it was just the best fun.

Huge thanks to Kelly Hibbert and Kristin and the team, and to this gorgeous group of SCBWI members--it was so wonderful to meet you all and spend time with you.





Was brilliant to meet the funny and talented Mandy Foot (above right with me) after, like, a decade!!


Next up is my final week--week four. And to kick it off, I'll post about the Mamie launch at Carrick Hill Estate. OMG. Here is me, with Jane Brummitt, ready to launch--below. Post coming shortly!

Tx


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...