Goodbye, summer--hello deadlines

Sunday 31 March 2019


Well, hello, creative people. It's been a wee while since I last wrote. Have been under a bit of a mountain and that will continue for some time, but it's all good! From under the mountain, lots of lovely things have been going on, including the onset of Autumn. Sigh. So happy.

This morning I burrowed into the oversized basket in our spare room, perennially crammed with knits--scarves, beanies, gloves. And I wore a beanie for the first time this year, on our walk around the lake (and no, I'm not being a sook, it was 4 degrees in Canberra this morning!). I sure was cold but this walk warms my heart. I love it so. Every Sunday we do it, my hubster and me. Well, he runs.

So, I'm aware it's not spring, but above you will see a forest of daisies--aren't they superb? They're hiding a little darling who is taking up a lot of my time--Evie. She is a daisy-loving girl and I'm in love with her. I was talking to Cate Whittle recently, for The Happy Book podcast, and she was saying that if you want to write a junior fiction series, you need to fall in love with your characters, and that's just what I've done. I can't wait for you to meet Evie. The books will be out next year.


Tomorrow is pub day for Hip Hip Hooray! I'm just bananas for this book. Jess's illos, yet again, are just pure delight. I'm having a launch in Canberra on Saturday 6 April--would love to see you there if you can make it. Deets are here.

And in the meantime, here is a peek at the astonishingly wonderful Augmented Reality capability for the book. All you need do is download the Dreem.AR app from the App Store, and hold it over the cover, and several pages inside the book. It's such a hoot!



I'm actually running a comp on Instagram (it ends tonight, so get in quick!) to win some beautiful giclΓ©e prints of Jess's work from Hip Hip Hooray. If you're too late to enter, then enjoy this peek at the book's illos.



My Australia: Illustrated Map continues to live on with its very own puzzle! An advance copy arrived last week (it's out June) and it was quite the surreal moment to sit and make a puzzle of my own work. I'm quietly obsessed with puzzles, so this has been such a thrill. Will show you more when I can.


Now, re: The Happy Book . . . Series Two is almost complete! I'm launching the first chapter (Chapter 13) this coming Wednesday, 3 April, so stay tuned. If you are enjoying it, please do leave a recommendation on the Facebook page.

And I have to reveal that I have some amazing guests coming up--even an international guest you might know, with more coming in Series Three. Very exciting.

https://taniamccartney.blogspot.com/2019/01/the-happy-book-childrens-book-podcast.html

If you've read my blog before, you know I'm a bit obsessed with Readings bookstore (from my years in Melbourne) and I still have its monthly catalogue delivered to my home in Canberra. It's so happy-making to have a book featured in the catalogue, as its real estate is so precious . . . and this month This Is Home made the cut! Thank you, Readings.



The National Library is hosting a launch for This is Home on Sunday 7 April, with the lovely Jackie French in attendance, and many of the book's poets. Hope to see you there--more info right here.

It's also exciting to see See Hear and Hip Hip Hooray off to Bologna this year. The Hello from Australia catalogue is so beautifully done--huge thanks to Ann James and Ann Haddon of Books Illustrated for carrying the flag each year.



Tina Snerling (now Lukas) and I received some happy news this past week. EK Books are publishing An Aussie Year and A Kiwi Year in paperback this November. The covers will receive a slight tweak, and I'll reveal those when I can. It's lovely to see these books in continued publication--An Aussie Year is my bestselling book so far, and it's such a thrill to see it last the distance.

http://taniamccartneyweb.blogspot.com/2012/11/an-aussie-year.html

http://taniamccartneyweb.blogspot.com/2012/11/a-kiwi-year-twelve-months-in-life-of.html

I have to tell you I had a bit of crisis in confidence recently. A bunch of reasons, you know, but suddenly, I woke up one morning and hated everything I've ever done. Like, really hated it.

Have you done this? Isn't that just the most horrid feeling? It's wounding. Self-wounding. I mean, if someone actually said that to us--'your work is crap--you must really hate everything you've ever done'--would you really want to hang out with them ever again? But I have to live with myself permanently, so it was tough sitting there listening to that self-talk.

Then I came across this quote by the ever-brilliant Maya Angelou. Or rather--it came across me.


And I wanted to share it with you because we need to share things that might make us feel better or gain some clarity. From that clarity, I realised that being (kindly!) critical of past works is not such a bad thing. If you are intent on ever-growing and ever-improving your skillset and your work (let's face it--anyone who thinks they are already the ants pants is probably not), then you'll be able to view your work with a critical eye and know you can do better.

It's like The Gap by Ira Glass--that idea that you can see in your mind and heart what you want to produce, but your skills perhaps aren't quite there yet. But they will be. If you work hard.

This whole experience taught me that I'm after Mastery, really. And that I feel I have a loooooong way to go to achieve it. I'd rather put out one book a year and know that I've put the hours in to make it extraordinary, than have 7 books out and feel they've been in any way rushed or compromised. So, that's my goal. And it sits so warmly with me.

Hey--random thought, but is anyone else drinking a lot more coffee of late? Maybe it's the cooling weather or the broken sleep I'm having at the mo, but I'm skolling like a hipster Viking.

And now to some fab events . . .

moi, Jacqui, Yvette, Archie!

Earlier this month, I had the great pleasure of speaking at the opening of Angophora House, an educational hub initiative by the amazing Jacqui Barton, who recently left an illustrious career with HarperCollins. The event was held at Jacqui's astonishingly beautiful home on the central coast, overlooking the water--oh my. And this woman knows how to entertain in style.

It was just the most divine afternoon, with book-loving peeps from all walks of life. Honoured to have been part of this opening and to speak alongside Yvette Poshoglian and Susanne Gervay. Do check out what Angophora House is all about--it's the first of its kind and promises some glorious events and resources.

the stunning view and Angophora tree

with Susie Gervay

Susie, moi, Jacqui, Yvette


photographer/artist Maree Azzopardi, author/illustrator Sara Action, moi

Maree, Jacqui, Susie, moi, Benny Thomas of Echo Publishing, Yvette

Another wonderful event at the NLA this month was the launch of Grandma's Treasured Shoes by the gorgeous Coral Vass, illustrated by Christina Huynh. It was such a special, emotional afternoon, beautifully launched by Alex Sloane (bottom left, centre). Do look up this book--it is an enchanting tale about the treacherous journeys refugees are so often forced to take, beautifully illustrated by Christina. It was hugely emotional to view the treasures on show, especially the tiny shoe believed to belong to a Vietnamese refugee.


Christina and Coral with publisher Susan Hall



Sarah Wallace, Belle Alderman, Leanne Barrett

Julie Long, Stephanie Owen Reeder, Kerry Malone

Coral, moi, Christina

Speaking of books, here are some recent purchases--all treasures. I've been super slow on book purchases of late--mainly because I'm so busy producing them! But upcoming bathroom renos have sucked the budget a bit dry, too. Just had to share This is M Sasek again because I'm so besotted, and I was over the moon to find a First Edition version of Mike and the Modelmakers--a Sasek book from 1970 in cahoots with Matchbox. It's a treasure--and look at that orange!!







All right. Have you been gagging for my latest Instagram crush? Good. So have I. Here it is... illustrator Fiona Woodcock. I've actually just ordered her picture book - Look - and can't wait to hold it in my hands. I'm obsessed with her textures and colourways and beautiful characterisation and imaginative concepts. Here's to some drooling . . .





Oh--while I remember, this happened recently . . . the boy becometh the man.


As the weather cools down, I've returned to my beloved crochet. It's super meditative and rewarding and calming, and as I'm suffering major shoulder issues of late, it's great for the postural changes I need, i.e. away from my illustration posture (alas!).

I actually made my first item of clothing recently--a skirt, inspired by the amazing dress local author Holly Bidwell made. Awful photos--sorry, and the skirt isn't anywhere near as luridly pink, but it's so comfy to wear. The yarn is gorgeous--a variegated reddish colour, but as I created the skirt, it took on a pinker hue than I would have liked. Still cute, though.



And here is my massive granny square blanket. It's going to be queen bed size. I made a black and white one a couple of years ago and I LOVE it, but have hankered for a random coloured one and it's making me so happy. I call it a 'confetti' blanket because it looks like someone had a party and then cosied up with it.


To finish off, I've been toying with the idea of making in-process digital illustration videos, but, well--you know. Time and all that. I'm hosting a digital illustration podcast on The Happy Book soon, so wanted to provide this little tutorial (if you could call it that!) in tandem with that podcast.

You'll get a sneak peek now--have uploaded to my fledgling YouTube channel (yes, I'll say it . . . if you enjoy my vids, please like and subscribe . . . groan!) and you can see it by clicking the image below. I do hope to do more, but you know. Time and all that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTsi9PqVhaE

I hope you have a beautiful week ahead. Do remember that Series Two of The Happy Book will pop up this Wednesday 3 April--and I'll let you know its topic on the Facebook page very soon.

Happy creating!

Tx



3 comments:

Unknown said...

As always, I am in awe of your productivity, and please know that you really deserve all the success you have had and will continue to have. I'm so sorry that you had a moment of doubting and disliking all your previous work, why are humans so hard on themselves??
I'm thrilled there is a season 2 of your podcast, I have learnt so much from season 1 and thank you for your generosity in sharing so much good stuff free of charge :)

Dee White said...

Love this post so much, Tania. Your work and your words are so beautiful. As we've talked about, there's nothing wrong with striving to be masters of our craft but we also have to be kind to ourselves and celebrate what we achieve along the way. xx

Sheryl Gwyther said...

Your post has been a highlight of my day so far ... ok, yeah, it's still early here in Queensland, but I know your words will remain the highlight! πŸ˜πŸ’–πŸ˜πŸ’– It's wonderful being in your life, if only for a few minutes of reading and viewing. Have a splendid autumny day, dear friend. πŸ’– PS it's cool in Brisbane too so I'm sane again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...