some lovely bits as winter creeps in

Friday 3 May 2019


Hello, hello - I hope you're having a gorgeous start to the winter season. Above is a Canada goose flying to Texas for the winter, and as ANZAC Day has come and gone, Canberra has (as it always does) plummeted headlong into beanie weather. If I had wings, though, I wouldn't be heading to warmer climes, no no. Could not be happier. I even bought new boots last week. Beanies, gloves, boots, scarves, tights is where I'm at. Bring it on!

Yes, it's definitely snuggle weather, and that couldn't be more appropriate because all I seem to be doing of late is snuggling up to my Mac, my laptop, my drawing board . . . and barely looking up. I'm right in the thick of a LOT and feel quite out of touch with the world, so wanted to say hi, share a bit of news, and give you some peeks before I go back into creative hibernation.



The second series of The Happy Book is in full swing - we're half way through already. Next Wednesday, 8 May, I'm welcoming the first of two emerging creators to the podcast - illustrator Penelope Pratley and author Penny Harrison. They'll be featured back to back on 8 May and 15 May, respectively. If you're an emerging creator, you won't want to miss these. Both chapters are packed with heaps of industry info, insights and advice, and a lot of head-nodding moments, too.

Writer and wanderluster - I think we have lived in any of the same cities in our lifetimes! - the lovely Stephanie Ward, has blogged about The Happy Book, along with four other brilliant kidlit podcasts. You can see it right here. So kind of her, and I was left feeling awfully proud that 4 of the 5 podcasts she mentions are Australian!


The SCBWI Crystal Kite Award region shortlists were announced recently, and I was absolutely stunned and delighted to see Mamie there for the Australia/New Zealand region. This award is voted by industry peers, and I couldn't be more chuffed to receive this nod, especially as I esteem my peers so very much. Another delight was being shortlisted with dear friends Dimity Powell and Nicky Johnston for their divine Holyrood Lane, and alongside Kelly Canby's fabulous book, too.

Winners across all SCBWI regions will be revealed towards the end of May.


I'm working hard on my large format book for Hardie Grant Travel (out Feb 2020) and it's been such an enriching project. As a result, I have a new fave animal - the Texan longhorn, above. Look at her (yes, females have these whopping great horns, too). She rivals my other fave animal, the Highland Coo (cow). I'm also in love with the Canada goose (pictured top of post) and also the common loon. Yes, yes, I have been researching North American animals!


The loon is just the most stunning bird. Its patterning is exquisite. It gets its name from the way it walks, which is both charming and heartbreaking. Because its legs are positioned so far back on its body (making it an excellent diver, by the way), it doesn't really walk per se - but sort of lumbers. You can see one here, doing its lumbering thing. Dear love it.

And if you fall in love with this bird, like I did, here's another video showing the yellow-billed loon and its exquisite patterning.


Anyhoo, I'll share more about the book in the coming months--here is another peek at an early page amongst the whopping 88 pages!


It's been so lovely to see This is Home and Hip Hip Hooray out in the wild, especially in this hilarious pic, above, posted on Facebook by Jimmy Redden (an elusive shelf-living creature, apparently!). There have been some beautiful reviews of both books, the most recent on Kids' Book Review - Hip Hip Hooray is here and This is Home here.

Big thanks to the lovely Lisa Karie for sharing this picture of a bookstore at Westmead Hospital in Sydney. How special is this? An actual bookshop FOR kids' health. Did you know about this? Can you believe it? SO happy-making. And even more happy-making to see a bunch of Smile Cry copies as you walk in the store!



April was quite a social month. The lovely Jackie Hosking was in town for her May Gibbs Creative Time Fellowship, and it was fantastic to catch up with her. We also celebrated a Big Birthday for amazing local gal, Nicole Godwin. Alas, we failed to get photos!

I also have some new books, but I wanted to wait to share with you - only because I'm expecting more for Mother's Day (fingers and toes!), so will share later. I did happen to see this handbag (below) in Zara, on a shopping trip with my daughter recently, and it was one of those moments, you know, where you realise you simply cannot live without something??? I was actually doubled over with love, so my girl bought me an early Mother's Day gift. She's a Good Daughter.


Well, peeps, I think that's just about it for now. I must dive back into some pages. To finish, here is a peek at my confetti blanket (with apologies for dank photo - it's raining and not much light!). The blanket is huge - well over Queen size, and it took quite a while, but worth every stitch. And there has been lots of doubling over with love. I made a black and white one a few years ago and always wanted to try multi-colour. I love it more than expected.

Keep snug. And do get some confetti in your life, won't you?



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...