The Shopping Bug

Tuesday 7 April 2009

When we lived in Beijing, I practically shopped whilst sleeping. But something strange has happened to me since we’ve come to Australia.

I’ve stopped shopping.

It’s not that things are ten times more expensive and we are earning ten times less. Well, maybe that has a LITTLE bit to do with it. But truly… suddenly, the desire is not there.

This is perhaps because we already have so much. Before we left Beijing, we stocked up on every little thing “just in case” we either couldn’t get it at home or it cost ten times more (and it does). But when we unpacked all the boxes, we couldn't fit everything in our house.

How ridiculous.

Maybe it’s also because, since coming home, I’ve realised how very lucky we are. Lucky to have had a posting in Beijing and lucky to be living in Australia. So the two things combined have made for one very sated, contented family. And when we are content, we really don’t want more, do we not?

I’m sure the shopping bug will return soon. Take today, for example – I went to pick up my mail at Woden shopping centre and nipped into Home Base – a sort of $2 shop. Never been there before. Had a nice chat in [my bad] Mandarin with the sales girl (also chatted in Mandarin to the sales people in the newsagent, the pet shop, Medicare and the supermarket – Australia is the new China) and ended up bringing home a bit of a stash. She has some groovy stuff in there...

Here are some adorable little felt birds for, like $1 or $2 a pack...

Then I got this amazing Easter basket for – not even sure, it was so cheap...

Then I found these funky little bunny clips that I’ll use to secure this year’s Easter goodie bags for our Easter brunch kids...

I also found some Aussie paraphernalia for my friends in Chicago and Tokyo, and more than a few really cute scrapbooking items.

Ooh – and nearly forgot. I had a coffee with Paula from www.littleliving.com.au before hitting the shops and I managed to snaffle these from her…



Hmm. Seems the shopping bug has bitten. Nonetheless, it seems I have changed a little... now, whenever I bring something new into the house, I give something away. Something nice, too. I dare you to try the same. Not only will it mean a less cluttered house, it's kind of nice knowing someone in need will benefit as you bury yourself under a pile of stuff.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...