Brilliant Writers - Kids

Wednesday 30 September 2009

Kids are such brilliant writers and yesterday I got to witness this first hand when I received a gorgeous package in the mail from Miles Franklin Primary School in Canberra, containing a treasure trove of deliciously written (and illustrated, as kids are wont to do!) work.

The work is part of the Miles Franklin Brilliant Writers Competition and I have been asked to judge the competition. Such a thrill.

The children at Miles Franklin school were asked to view a series of pictures from a collection called The Mysteries of Harris Burdick, and to create a piece of written work in response to the stimulus pictures.

I have been through the finalists and now have to award prizes to the best work in each age group (kinder, grades 1/2, grades 3/4 and grades 5/6). I will award three prizes per group - first place, a highly commended and an encouragement award.

Naturally, it was almost impossible to choose, but I have. And I have also been completely blown away by the talent and creativity of these kids. I am in awe and feel so fortunate to be involved in such a remarkable award.

The actual winner's awards will be presented at the school on 16 October, Miles Franklin Day, when students and staff will dress up in old fashioned clothes. It's going to be like entering a time warp, and I can't wait to get amongst all the literary hoopla.

I'm loving it!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...