summery goodness and birthdays and gardens and books

Sunday 24 February 2019


Hello! and welcome to my brand new website/social media look. This happened randomly the other day. I was inspired by a pretty font (as is the way with me) and I just went and did a new header. Literally took ten mins--just selected a few illos that make me smile, and bam. Done.

If you're interested in these divine fonts, they are by Tom Chalky, who was offering a font special recently. How could a girl resist? The texture behind my name (this font is 'Bobby Jones Regular') was made by clipping mask in Adobe Illustrator, using the head dress of the flamingo, top right. The loopy font below my name is 'Magnite' ... there is no way to improve this font. It's sheer perfection.

I like to change up my website 'look' every two or three years. I think it keeps things fresh, and anyway, we need to move and change and grow as our careers do, non?

So, how are you? Are you heralding autumn, like me? Already brushing off boots and hauling out the scarves? We had a blistering 8 weeks over Dec/Jan in Canberra, and thankfully, things have really eased off, which much cooler nights and warm (not quite literally burning) days. We've also had some rain, hallelujah. Cannot believe summer is almost over, but, as ever, I'm thankful it's nearing its end.

Suddenly, new books are sneaking up on me, too. This April, I have two new books out ...

https://taniamccartneyweb.blogspot.com/2012/11/this-is-home-essential-australian-poems.html

https://taniamccartneyweb.blogspot.com/2012/11/hip-hip-hooray-april-2019-windy-hollow.html

This is Home is a National Library book in collab with the amazing Jackie French. And Hip Hip Hooray! is my latest Windy Hollow book with the divine Jess Racklyeft (a follow-on from Merry Everything!). Click the covers for more about each book. There'll be launches for both books, and on the same weekend (handy!). Hooray will be Saturday 6 April and This is Home on Sunday 7 April. See my EVENTS page for more.

In June, my Australia Map Puzzle will be released (with accompanying booklet), and I hope to share some images of that soon. How surreal it will be to sit and make a puzzle with the map! I shall have to take a photo of that, yes I shall.


Jess Racklyeft and I have just finished working on Ivy Bird, yet another book for Windy Hollow. I am totally in love with this book, about a little girl and birds. Here is an image, above. It's out in the third quarter of this year, so will show more later.

https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/TaniaMcCartneyIllos
I finally bit the bullet and organised some Limited Edition Mamie prints (above). There's six to choose from, with a limited run of 25 each. They're for sale on my Etsy store and I have a special on for the month of February--beautiful archival quality A4 giclée prints for $40 (normally $70). Head to my Etsy store to see the range. Postage is free (within Australia).


Late last year, the Children's Book Council asked me to create something for part of their annual fundraiser auction and I had a ball painting, crocheting and crafting my way into this project. Hope to share it with you in the coming months! Here is a peek (above).

What else? Stephanie Owen Reeder and I are powering through our non-fiction National Library book and I'm working solidly on my large format picture book for Hardie Grant Travel (exploration lovers, you'll love it!).

I'm also deep in my junior fiction series, Evie and Pog, and have been spending time on a range of cover ideas. It's always an interesting process, the cover, especially as you need to think ahead to future books. Can't wait to show you a peek.

https://taniamccartney.blogspot.com/2019/01/the-happy-book-childrens-book-podcast.html

I wanted to send a huge shout out to everyone who's listened to The Happy Book podcast. I've been delighted and astounded at the reaction (did not expect this!). Cannot believe Series One is almost over. I do plan on making Series Two and will update you on when this might happen. I'm so short on time at the mo, it may be a few months, but I will TRY.

Thank you to those who have messaged and emailed me to say how much they love The Happy Book--you have warmed my heart. Please do leave a review/recommendation on the Facebook page.

Speaking of podcasts, there's been a lovely flowering of local industry podcasts of late. Here are some of the newbies and some of the good 'n' faithfuls.




The KidLit Club with Sally Rippin and Adrian Beck

So You Want to be a Writer with Allison Tait and Valerie Khoo


Three Point Perspective (for illustrators)


The First Time with Katherine Collett and Kate Mildenhall 

A World of One's Own with Tai Snaith

If you're after an international podcast, check out US-based All The Wonders.



We're going through a massive financial shift in our house and it's such an exciting time. As part of the shift, we're finally planning some minor house renos, which I'll share when I can wedge them into the elusive Spare Time block. That's if we can find a tradie. Groan. They all like the $100K jobs, don't they??

I've decided to do the interior painting--not only to save money but because I kind of love to paint. Here are my colours (above): white is January Dawn, grey is Akimbo and charcoal is Trendy (all Taubmans). I cannot wait to start (hopefully before winter sets in). I'm even doing decorative moulding on our ugly old interior doors. Will show you what I mean later.

Our garden overhaul is going well--we have a new hedge sprouting and some new trees. We are mattocking the roots of a gargantuan silver ash in our backyard. If you have small plants near a large tree, there's a simple solution, just chop off big surface roots so they don't deplete the surface soul. I had no idea we could do this. Larger trees will do just fine with their masses of deeper roots, and it won't affect the health of three, while saving your surface plants.

I've tracked down a great shade-loving creeper called Japanese Spurge (Pachysandra terminalis) which we'll plant directly beneath the tree, to cover the dripline bedrock the tree leaves its wake.


My son turned 16 and because he's a total health nut who turns his nose up at sugar, I baked him the best chocolate cake--OMG, you must try. It does have coconut sugar in it but this is much better for you than most sugars, and I put just 1.5 cups in (as opposed to 2 cups) and it didn't affect the texture (in fact, you could try just one cup).

It's a HUGE cake, so you won't find too much sugar in one slice. And it's fluffy, intensely chocolaty and absolutely divine. I didn't make the frosting--I served it with fresh stewed raspberries and cream whipped up with vanilla extract (NOT 'essence', ugh--why oh why do we put this revolting rubbish in our bodies? only the best for our bodies and tastebuds!). Recipe right here.


I also had a birthday and gee, it was lovely. I just laid down a lot, you know? I snuck a bit of work in but mostly I just crocheted (I'm making a skirt) and drew and read. I got the BEST books--and a set of superb earbuds for my audiobook-addiction. I read This is M Sasek cover to cover (I have quite the Sasek obsession) and I simply adore Sarah Wilson's latest book--least of all for its delectable, inspiring content, but just as much for its superb design and warmth. I have quite the Sarah Wilson obsession.


Re: audiobooks, I've been through a few of late and the most amazing of all was Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything, which is a complete fabrication--it's a short history that doesn't in any way include Nearly Everything (something he freely admits) and I actually had tears in my eyes when the book came to an end and I felt like I'd only just begun listening. Please, Bill--more, please. 6+ hours of sheer entrancement. Did you know I have a Bill Bryson obsession? Stephen Fry, too.

I think that's all for now. When you're entrenched in production mode, there's not much to report. I have to say, though, it's such a happy time. Just producing. It makes me so happy. I feel a little bit out of the loop, but that's okay. And Book Season opens next week with the announcement of the CBCA Notable books, and other upcoming events. I may just have to peek out of my burrow at some stage.

I hope you have a glorious week creating and revelling in the quiet moments. That's where peace is found, after all. And it's also the source of our greatest creative inspiration. Milk it.

Anon!

Tx


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...