Women Who Do What They Love - Michelle Williams

Wednesday 15 April 2009

Who is this woman? Michelle Williams (hiding, far right)

What is her passion called? Poppy, Bean and Bloss

Where can you take a squiz at her stuff? www.poppybeanandbloss.com.au

What does she actually produce? I sell sock monkeys, snuggly Waldorf-style dolls, Waldorf baby and bigger dolls, wooden cars, trucks and trains (made by my father), art folders and hair accessories.

Why does she do all this? I love the process of making toys, especially the Waldorf dolls. There is a lot of hand sewing in the toys I make, so it is quite relaxing to do.

How long has she been doing it? I started my online store in February 2008. The Mathilda’s Markets were my first market and I had a great time.

What is this talented woman’s story? I am Canberra born and bred. Have been over seas twice, but always come back to Canberra. It is a wonderful place to live, especially with a young family. I am married to a wonderful man, and have three lovely children (nicknamed Poppy, Bean and Bloss). I am a chartered accountant by trade, and still work part time. I started making soft toys about two years ago and really love doing it.

How has her journey been so far? I have found the process fairly easy so far. I think that is partly because there is no pressure on me to be running my business at a level that will provide, or help to provide for our family. Probably the hardest thing has been making sure that my toys comply with Australian Safety Standards. Even that process wasn’t difficult – just time-consuming as I had to make a few changes to the design and construction of some toys.



What are her greatest joys in doing what she loves? I love making the toys. I especially love seeing them come alive when I embroider the faces. I also know how much my children love the toys I have made for them and hope that other children enjoy theirs just as much. It is a nice feeling to think you are making something that will be a treasured part of a child’s life and may even be passed on to another generation.

What is she loving most at the moment? Definitely the Waldorf-style dolls, and the sock monkeys are pretty special too.

What is her inspiration? My children – making toys that I know they will love.

If she could do anything in the whole wide, entire world – what would she do? That is a tough one, I always wanted to be a teacher when I was younger. I would love to teach children sewing and related crafts, although I would probably need to learn a bit more myself first.

Where would she escape to if she could? Abu Dhabi. I have good friends that are living there at the moment and it has been nearly two years since we saw them.

What is her greatest achievement? Definitely my family.

What would be her absolutely perfect day? A day spent at home with my family, with plenty of sewing time, of course.

What five words sum her up? Happy, caring, creative, messy, determined.

What really fabulous advice does she have for others wanting to Do What They Love? Take the plunge – nothing is impossible.

Are you doing what you love? Please contact me here if you would like to tell your Do What You Love story. I’d love to hear from you – no matter where you are in the world.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...