Calendar: Continence Awareness Week - weeeeee!!

Monday 3 August 2009

Some of you may recall this post on my delightful whizzing-myself episode, after jumping on the kids' new trampoline.

Well, one of my oldest and dearest friends, Mary O'Dwyer, just told me it is Continence Awareness Week this week. Don't we take continence for granted? Did you know that incontinence and simple leaking problems are not just reserved for gran and that a surprisingly amount of university students also have to cross their legs when they sneeze? An astounding forty per cent of women live with bladder control problems, and fifty per cent have pelvic organ prolapse.

I'm secure enough to admit the muscular 'trampoline' supporting my lady organs is not in the best shape thanks to years of coughing (asthma), childbearing (kids) and yelling (husband). Like most mums, doing my Kegel exercises is something I keep filing under the "have manicure/pedicure/massage/hair done" file. That is: it never gets done.

So, now is the time! Get off the kids' trampoline and get your own pelvic floor trampoline sorted!

If you have no clue how, and even if you do have some clue, check out Mary's amazing, best-selling book - Hold it Sister! (recommended by Dr Christine Northrup M.D. - what more do you want?) and learn how to reclaim more than just whiz-control. Head to Mary's website to check it out.

3 comments:

Dani and Nick said...

Love the title of this one.....nearly wet myself laughing. Hmmmmm.....time to buy a certain book I have been highly recommended perhaps?

Unknown said...

This is a great resource. At the risk of self-promotion, I know that a lot of people need help in translating what they are reading into action. After rehabbing myself from a prolapse after my first child, I started hearing from a lot of women in the same situation -- so I put all of my info into a DVD (Hab It: Pelvic Floor www.hab-it.com) to help other women who either didn't have access to qualified physical therapists or couldn't affort it. For more details, you can check out www.hab-it.com -- and it is available in Australia at http://www.pelvicfloorexercise.com.au/products/habItpelvicfloor.htm

Tasha Mulligan MPT, ATC, CSCS
www.hab-it.com/blog

Tania McCartney said...

Tasha, thanks so much for sharing, that's fabulous and keep up the good work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...