#illo52weeks - week 2: kids

Monday 13 January 2014


We're just nearing the end of Week Two in the 52-Week Illustration Challenge, and this week's theme has been KIDS. I put this off for nearly six days, I was just terrified! People are so hard to do and it really unnerved me.

So, I bit the bullet and sat down to think about what I could do. I used watercolour and ink on paper and just tried out the style I love best - simple, light and whimsical. Even though I know it could be a lot better, I really do like it. I can't believe I'm even saying that.

I thought it might be fun to share the draft illo I did before creating the final. Below you'll see my meanderings and I really like the original but I think the final looks more kid-like. I really wanted to give the girl black hair for the final, but chickened out!


Once complete, I was inspired to try a differing style that I absolutely love--retro-inspired block colour. This was just a play-around--I don't have a tablet yet so can't trace it to Illustrator and flood it with the digital block-colour it needs. I also think watercolour was a bad choice--I should have used acryclic.

Anyway, it is what it is, and it was loads of fun (so that's the main thing).


I love that so many people have joined in this challenge and are not only sharing their gorgeous images, but their techniques and advice. It's so very special. If you want to join in, just click here for more info or head to the 52-Week Illustration Challenge Facebook group to see all those amazing images.

You could also share your work by twitter and on instagram (both my handles are @TaniaMcCartney). Make sure you hashtag #illo52weeks. Would love to see what you can do!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/418616991575037/



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...