December - home, heat, family, books and happy new year

Sunday 30 December 2018


Oh, December! You are nearly done! You were oddly frosty for a while there, but on Christmas Day, you succumbed to a summer of freakish proportions. We're not expecting a cool change in Canberra until the 8th of January. Heavens to Betsy, are we now desert? I can't even cast my eye over the garden--it's too heartbreaking.

And so, the next few weeks will be spent at home and perhaps snuck inside the odd icy cinema--this is the first year in ages where I've had to make a film list (and check it twice)--there's so much I want to see. Holmes and Watson, Mary Poppins Returns (HATE the abhorrently uncreative title, but can't wait to see it), Bohemian Rhapsody (très late, I know), The Grinch, The Nutcracker, Colette. I've missed Ladies in Black, but I'm going to see the costumes from the film soon--more on that shortly. Any other film recommendations? And also--looking back at these film choices, am I still a child? Honestly??

So the next few weeks will be housebound which isn't such a bad thing, as my break is nearly over, and deadlines call. A couple more days of reading in bed till midday, then I'm up and at them.

I hope you had a lovely Christmas. Ours was quiet and around three-kilos' worth (I'm nibbling rabbit food as I type). We actually celebrated on Christmas Eve this year and it was so lovely--you get to drink cocktails as you unwrap gifts and it can be a real hoot. The kids were spoiled, as ever, and we ate our fill of antipasto, and it made Christmas Day so much more leisurely.

Speaking of Christmas, just feast your eyes on this wreath I snaffled in the pre-Christmas sales (Provincial Home Living). Is it not dazzling? It's the type of thing that stops you as you walk by, and begs a little staring. I'm in love. It's staying up all year--I'm telling you now.


Christmas decs were simple and scaled down this year. You can see my decorating post right here. Mamie also got into the Christmas spirit, as part of my studio decorations ...



And here's this year's Christmas cake, made in a Bundt pan for the first time, drunk with dark rum (I change up the flavours each year--this one also had naked ginger pieces inside). The drizzle icing is lemon, lime and orange, which goes perfectly with the rum. I was tossing up doing a clear drizzle instead, but I do love a good snowscape.



Also made gingerbread--could not resist, even with those three kilos creeping on as I baked.


Okay--more prettiness ... my latest Insta Crush. Tania Lissova of Lissova Craft. OMG. Don't even. She's a Russian papercrafter and I'm in awe of her finesse and patience. I dream of papercutting like this (one day!?). Feast your eyes below, and visit her feed right here.






Have you done your Instagram Top 9 yet? It's interesting seeing what pops up each year. Here's mine--with four of my Flora illos included. They're being transformed into something super cool next year--more soon.


I haven't had the chance to illustrate much this month--much of December was spent on settling back home from Adelaide, on wrapping up my Fellowship, and on Mamie promo. Local TV station, WIN News, were so kind to interview me about Mamie (below) and the lovely people at artsACT featured my work in a little film to encourage people to shop local (below below--how cute are the kids?).




I've also spent much of the month marinating stories for my first junior fiction series (Evie and Pog), and working on a very exciting version of my Australia Map--can't wait to show you--here is a peek ...


As for upcoming work, it's headlong into Evie and Pog and my first large format picture book (both due for release 2020). I'll also be spending the next six months on a brand new National Library contract, as illustrator, and working with an immensely talented local friend and award-winning author. I'll reveal more soon! and here is a teensy tiny peek ...


Oh--and I did get one illustration done for pure leisure. Here it is. I'm desperate to work on a book on architecture. It won't happen for a while as the next two years are pretty full, but it's a dream, and I can always play around until I can pounce on that dream. The following is watercolour and a touch of white ink.
I mentioned, above, that I'll soon have the chance to see some costumes from the film Ladies in Black. Some of the film's scenes were shot at Nutcote in Sydney, and I'll be visiting Nutcote for the first time EVER (I know!!) on Sunday 20 January, so will get to see their amazing exhibition at the same time. While I'm there, I'll be reading Mamie during Nutcote's annual Scotty Day party, to celebrate May Gibbs' birthday. What an absolute honour--I'm beside myself to share the book and see those Scotties running all over the lawns! If you're in Sydney, I'd love to see you there.

Speaking of May, I received the most divine gift earlier in the month ... seven vintage May Gibbs plates--can you even believe how gorgeous? The beautiful Karen Hendriks, emerging author, decided they had to be mine, and sent them over from Sydney. Such an overwhelming, generous gift that will be treasured to the moon and back. Thank you, Karen. I adore them.








Well, that's about all for now. If you need me, I'll be reading or watching films till the new year. Both piles are sky high, so I best get to it. I wish you a blissful, relaxing, melt-into-a-book end of the year. I hope you find time to gift to yourself before 2019 descends. Time to read, to nibble, to sigh and just be.

2019, no doubt, will scoot by in a haze, just as this year has done, so let's hold hands and dive in. Until then, I send love from my home to yours, and finish this post in the best way I know how ...

... books! 

There are a lot. Please don't be horrified by how many*. They're month-long purchases and also Christmas gifts. All I wanted this year was books, can you tell?

*and anyway, can you ever have too many books?































My son Riley chose this one for me--he knows I always wanted to be a brain surgeon! Fascinated by this squishy thing...



I ordered this book containing the art and processes of Insta sensation Iraville, and it's just divine. If you haven't seen her work--head over to her Insta page and get set to drool.


And below is possibly my favourite book this year (and that's saying something, as I normally have 200 favourites). I can't even tell you how much I adore this book--Bibliophile: An Illustrated Miscellany by Jane Mount. It's a dip-into kind of book (though you could dip the entire book in one sitting, it's that delightful) featuring whimsical illos and commentary on everything and anything libro, from world-famous bookshop cats to iconic covers, striking libraries, bookmobiles, writers' pets and many pages more. Highly recommend. And Hello, Lighthouse, Rivers and National Parks of the USA (all above) are also standouts.

Now excuse me, Leonardo awaits. Surely I can read it with a nice Prosecco?



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...