week four of my May Gibbs Children's Literature Trust Fellowship - A Productive, Creative Outpouring

Thursday 13 December 2018


My final week in Adelaide was my most productive yet. I called it 'A Productive, Creative Outpouring' in the Fellows' Journal. I really put my head down and finished all the stories for my junior fiction series. I also sketched up some more line drawings and did a little more on my ABC book.

I made a point of walking a lot, too, snapping some more photos of stunning local architecture. This block of flats, below... heavenly. It had a history, complete with plaque, but I forgot to take a photo of it, so can't tell you much more. But couldn't you imagine this as a grand old family home with picnics on the lawn?


I sat in parks and sketched and looked up. Looking up is good.


I also paid one last visit to the cafés I loved the most, and had a lovely chat with some of the owners and staff. And of course, got lots of work done.


It's not at all a task to drop into bookshops, either ... for the second or third time. I just adore this little shop--Booked--in North Adelaide. Sue and Jane and Makeda. They have the most superb children's book section, and what a joy to see Mamie behind the counter alongside the 100th Year Anniversary of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie.

Makeda and Jane

One of my fave things to do is flip through bookstore catalogues and drink in all the marvellous new releases. It's a humbling thing to see your book in a catalogue, especially when there's room for so few titles, and you're vying for space with so many amazing creations--all made with love, blood, sweat and tears.


At the end of the week, I had a long overdue catch-up with gorgeous author Katrina Germein. We coffeed and chatted and laughed and nodded enthusiastically (whilst refraining from simultaneously crying out 'I can relate!'). Then we went to Pegi Williams bookstore ... and my jaw dropped as I walked in. What a stunning spot. I mean, NOTHING but kids' books. A divine setting, phenomenal line-up of books, all lovingly curated. Just love this store.


The lovely Rebecca had a pile (and I mean a pile--pic at top of post) of Mamie for me to sign, and I had a lovely chat with store owner, James Williams. Of course, I could not leave without buying books, and taking some snaps with Katrina, whom I clearly did not want to leave!


with Rebecca

On my final day, I took things slowly. Pottered on illustrations, walked, reminisced and marvelled over how quickly four weeks can go. I then packed and had a super early night before flying out the next morning.

The May Gibbs Children's Literature Trust Creative Time Fellowship was a life-altering experience for me. It was about my work, yes, but it was also about reconnecting with myself, my career (and life!) direction, and what (and who) truly matters. Strange to say, but I actually learned to like myself again, after years of self-disconnect (something we all do to ourselves, I'm afraid).

Beyond producing new work, the Fellowship was about seeking inspiration in new and unexpected ways. It was also about pushing myself outside my comfort zone (in so many ways) and developing a new kind of laser focus on where I want to go and who I want to be--both through my work, and on a personal level.

I missed my family and local friends terribly, but I loved becoming part of the MGCLT family, and meeting new people, and those I've never met in person before. I loved revisiting Adelaide and I simply adored all the beautiful experiences and connections made.

A huge thank you Mary Wilson, Polly, Julie, Alle, Judy, Jacqui, Sue, and the entire team. A huge thank you to Jane Brummitt for her love and support. To Kathleen Lumley College and to the warm and friendly Adelaidians I encountered during my four week stay.

Oh--and sorry, but I cannot finish a post without the mention of BOOKS! I will also not mention the hundreds of dollars I paid in excess baggage, but oh well. You know--that's books for you. Here are my glorious finds over the past month--some purchased in Adelaide and some waiting for me in brown packages tied up with string, when I got home. (Well, there was no string, but how nice would it be if there was.)


















This amazing Kate Greenaway book was up for silent auction at the May Gibbs Children's Literature Trust high tea event. Mary Wilson, Patron, had the highest bid but I offered to buy it from her! It is, of course, divine.


As we count down the days till Christmas, I wish you calm in the chaos, peace in the pace, gratitude in the grind. I finally have my decs up--will share soon!

Happy creating.

Tx


1 comment:

Debra Tidball said...

So glad it was a wonderful time on so many levels, Tania. And those glorious books... Sigh!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...