Lunch Boxes Go Green

Thursday 12 August 2010


Go Green lunch box

How cool is my kids' school? Today the SRC introduced a 'no packaging' for lunch initiative that was a real eye-opener. Basically, kids had to bring all food stuffs in reusable containers - no plastic, no packaging, no throwaways of any kind. The only garbage bin being offered to the kids today is a compost bin for fruit skins.

Not even batting an eyelid, I set about unpackaging the lunch I had already packed for the kids the night before. Armed with a line-up of teensy containers, I opened the first package... and emptied it inside a container. Then I opened the next package. And the next package and the next package. And soon - to my utter horror - I had a mountain of packets and a surprisingly small collection of containers, all fitting snug within the confines of the lunch boxes.

I pride myself on offering my children balanced and nutritious food. Sure, I sneak in Tiny Teddy packets and no-added-sugar fruit straps and pre-packaged cheese and crackers here and there. Hey - sometimes, in a pinch, I even provide their second piece of fruit in a fruit cup.

But it really horrified me to see not only how much packaging I was adding to the landfill issue, but the bland colour of everything once opened. I mean, almost everything was either yellow, beige or brown.

For the sake of convenience and speed, I realise I have been doing it all wrong. And things need to change.

Not only did I realise that offering my kids a rubbish-free lunch was fabulous for the environment, it was also a great way to see exactly what we're feeding our kids and how well it balances out on the food pyramid. When you de-package and view (I recommend clear plastic containers) the colour and genre of the food you are feeding your children, it will really tweak something in your brain - you may surprise yourself how inadequate a typical school lunch can be, despite best intentions.

If those clever SRC kids wanted to make an impact on parents today - they've achieved their green mission. Well done, kids.

Want to convert your kid's lunch box from a pile of paper and plastic to a lean, green nutrition machine? Check out these fab sites offering a tempting range of perfect plastic-free packaging. They may seem a little expensive, but they are incredibly well-made and will save you a fortune in packaging and having to buy new lunch boxes as the old ones wear out.

Nude Food Movers (also available at many supermarkets)
Eco Store
Kids Konserve Re-usable wrapping
Biome (an emormous range of varying products from stainless steel to wrappings)
Ubeaut Kidz
Earthology
Shop Naturally

Tips on packing a litter-free lunchbox
Information on safe lunchbox plastics

6 comments:

Green Mama said...

Our local school calls their school lunch guidelines 'nude food'. Love it!

Robin said...

Brilliant Tania. Thanks for the links!

Rocket Man said...

As a kid, I had a few lunchboxes go green. Sometimes black. Occasionally hairy. They definitely did not improve with age. x

Tania McCartney said...

Love you Rocket Man. x

Brenda said...

I love that idea! I'm going to put it into action at my house next week.

I already have some of those Nude Food Movers and they are fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I have found the following Laptop lunch box fabulous - my son loves salad and these allow a heap of flexibility.
http://www.babygrowsafe.com.au/stainless-steel-lunchboxes-food-jars-and-drink-bottles/laptop-lunchboxes-bpa-free-bento-systems-/laptop-lunch-bento-2-0-box-set/prod_177.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...